A colleague of mine recently flagged this automated, quasi real-time crisis map: Global Incident Map. The map displays the latest 25 terror-related incidents using customized icons. These include markers for suspicious devices, bus hijackings, airport incidents, etc. Clicking on the icon provides a link to local news report(s) concerning the event. The service is subscription based so I wasn’t able to tinker around as much as I would have liked.
Patrick Meier, PhDiRevolutions has ~2 Million hits!
Patrick is an internationally recognized expert and consultant on humanitarian technology and innovation. Book: Digital Humanitarians. Previously: UN, World Bank, Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, Ushahidi. PhD from Fletcher School, Pre-Doctoral Fellow at Stanford and MA at Columbia. Born & raised in Africa.
Sign up here for my Newsletter
Follow on Twitter: @patrickmeier
Table of Contents
Popular Posts This Week
- New: List of Software for UAVs and Aerial Imagery
- A 10 Year Vision: Future Trends in Geospatial Information Management
- Using Aerial Robotics and Virtual Reality to Inspect Earthquake Damage in Taiwan (Updated)
- How to Lie with Maps
- Official UN Policy Brief on Humanitarian UAVs
- Tracking Population Movements using Mobile Phones and Crisis Mapping: A Post-Earthquake Geospatial Study in Haiti
- Creating a League of Luxury Yachts for Disaster Response
- Humanitarian Robotics, Murphy’s Law and What To Do About It
- How To Coordinate UAV Deployments During Disasters
- How Zanzibaris are Hacking Flying Robots
- Cargo Drones Deliver in the Amazon Rainforest
- First Ever Cargo Drone Deliveries in Amazon Rainforest
- The Most Comprehensive Study on Drones in Humanitarian Action
- Aerial Robotics and Agriculture: Opportunities for the Majority World
- What Happens When the Media Sends Drone Teams to Disasters?
- Why Robots Are Flying Over Zanzibar and the Source of the Nile
- Using Sound and Artificial Intelligence to Detect Human Rights Violations
- Using Swimming Robots to Warn Villages of Himalayan Tsunamis
- Could These Swimming Robots Help Local Communities?
- Reverse Robotics: A Brief Thought Experiment
- Humanitarian Robotics: The $15 Billion Question?
- This is What Happens When You Send Flying Robots to Nepal
- How to Democratize Humanitarian Robotics
- On Humanitarian Innovation versus Robotic Natives
- How Can Digital Humanitarians Best Organize for Disaster Response?
- The Value of Timely Information During Disasters (Measured in Hours)