This data visualization (click to enlarge) displays more than 23,500 photos taken in Brooklyn and posted to Instagram during Hurricane Sandy. A picture’s distance from the center (radius) corresponds to its mean hue while a picture’s position along the perimeter (angle) corresponds to the time that picture was taken. “Note the demarcation line that reveals the moment of a power outage in the area and indicates the intensity of the shared experience (dramatic decrease in the number of photos, and their darker colors to the right of the line)” (1).
Patrick Meier, PhDiRevolutions has 2+Million hits!
Patrick is an internationally recognized expert and consultant on humanitarian technology and innovation. Book: Digital Humanitarians. Previously: UN, World Bank, Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, Ushahidi. PhD from Fletcher School, Pre-Doctoral Fellow at Stanford and MA at Columbia. Born & raised in Africa.
Sign up here for my Newsletter
Follow on Twitter: @patrickmeier
Table of Contents
Popular Posts This Week
- Haiti: Lies, Damned Lies and Crisis Mapping
- The Starfish and the Spider: 8 Principles of Decentralization
- Rescue Robotics: An Introduction
- A Practical Introduction to UAVs for NGOs
- Launching: SMS Code of Conduct for Disaster Response
- Political Change in the Digital Age: The Prospect of Smart Mobs in Authoritarian States
- A Force for Good: How Digital Jedis are Responding to the Nepal Earthquake (Updated)
- Drones and the Coronavirus: Do these applications make any sense?
- WeRobotics for Humans in a Hurry
- Technology for Good is Broken. Here’s How We’re Trying to Fix It.
- Decolonizing Medical Cargo Drone Technology: Step 1
- Back to the Future: Drones in Humanitarian Action
- Testing Agile Cargo Drone Delivery to Improve Healthcare
- Drone Charter on Equal Opportunity and Inclusion
- Building Cargo Drone Expertise in Papua New Guinea
- How Local Drone Pilots Are Reducing Dengue Fever
- How Drone Natives are Decolonizing Robotics
- New! Online Training for Humanitarian Drone Missions
- Meet the Youngest Drone Pilots in Fiji
- Testing Underwater Drones: Lessons Learned from the South Pacific
- Field Testing Medical Cargo Drones in the DR
- Empowering Youths in Fiji to Explore their Islands with Aerial and Marine Robotics
- How Mosquitos are Hitching a Ride on Drones to Reduce Zika
- Entire Fleet of Cargo Drones Tested in the Amazon Rainforest
- Digital Humanitarians in Space: Planet Launches Rapid Response Team
- How to Defeat Zika with Flying Robots
- The Future of Crisis Mapping is Finally Here